Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Skip to main content

Sell, Move or Close a Business

We know that selling a business, moving a business, or closing a business can be stressful and that’s why we are here to help. Knowing where to start and how to protect yourself is of utmost importance.

Tax Clearance

Connecticut has what’s called successor’s liability laws, which mean that you can be held responsible for unpaid taxes even though the taxes were incurred by a former owner. It is of utmost importance to obtain a tax clearance certificate when you close or sell a business to protect yourself as a previous or new owner.

Closing a Business

If you are closing your Connecticut business, your out-of-state business will no longer be conducting business in Connecticut, or you are no longer subject to a tax for which you are registered, you can log into myconneCT and close your business.

Updating Officers, Partners or Member Information

You must notify the Department’s Registration Unit in writing if updating any officers, partners or your member information. Send a letter with the changes to:

Department of Revenue Services
Registration Unit
P.O. Box 2937
Hartford, CT 06104-2937

Change Address

If the physical location or mailing address for your business has changed, you can report the new address using any of the following methods:

Log onto myconneCT

Log onto the Taxpayer Service Center (TSC-BUS)

Complete the appropriate form listed below and mail it to the address on the form.

  • Form CT-8822, Change of Address (for individual taxpayers and for unincorporated businesses)
  • Form CT-8822C, Corporation Business Tax Change of Address